Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Russian Observations...

Here are some interesting observations after my first 3 weeks ...

-Apparently it's not just Americans that can't drink the Russian water, we even have to use the filtered water to brush our teeth!
-The Russian sewer system is terrible!!! Literally we can't put toilet paper in the toilet... there's a little trash can next to the toilet. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
-Russian women are EXTREMELY beautiful ... but Russian men are EXTREMELY gross!! There will be women walking around in high heels, mini skirts, with long, lean legs and long blond hair. The men walk around in tight pants, cutoffs and have mullets for god sakes!
-Just like in Prague, there is little to zero customer service. The waiters and people at the grocery store check-out make you feel like you're inconveniencing them by purchasing things from their establishment. I guess it's part of the fact that they don't work off tips.
-Tipping isn't done in Russia. Also sales tax isn't added when you check out. The price you see on an item is the price you pay (that part is sort of nice).
-Beer is cheaper than water.
-Along with customer service, courtesy is not done here either. I've been cut off, cut in line, and pushed while walking down the street on any given day. They also don't hold the door for you, even if you're right behind them
-Russian's don't respect personal space either. I was at the grocery yesterday and I was paying and this rather large man stood THISCLOSE to me... I wanted to ask him to move but of course know very little Russian that I just tried to give him a dirty look :)

Despite all of these things, I'm enjoying my time here and will truly appreciate my American life.

No comments:

Post a Comment