Friday, July 16, 2010

End of Week 4

This has really been an interesting week... so much has happened but I'll just give you some of the main points :)

Wednesday night - bonfire with the new group to "welcome" them to Yaroslavl.. all in all a success. Had a fire by the river, got to know some of the new group and wore pants and a long-sleeved shirt, thus reducing the bug bites :)

Thursday I went back to the women's hospital. It really just gets to me every time we go there - even though I've gone several times a week since I arrived - living conditions are terrible, I don't know how they're actually "treated" for their "diseases" (if they have any), the lack of everyday necessities that I completely take for granted... this is their LIFE! For many of them they have no family, no friends and no chance of hoping for anything better. It breaks my heart to think of them when we leave ... they always ask when will be the next time we come, they sit by the windows and yell goodbye to us when we walk to the van... it's heartbreaking! I really wish there is more I could do but it's strikingly evident that the Russian social welfare system is nowhere near on par with that of the Western world.

On Thursday it was also my friend's 21st birthday... while it's a right of passage in the US, here they could really care less. They've all been drinking since they could look over the bar. Nevertheless, because we are Americans, we do what Americans do, and we gave Bayleigh a proper 'American' 21st birthday. A group of about 13 people came with us to dinner at a pizza place we frequent (for the free wifi :) and then onto a bar called Mojito (guess what they serve there). Three of the translators who we work with actually met us out, so it was really fun to hang out with them in a non-work setting. Plus, they brought us to an out of the way bar after Mojito, that we'd had no idea about. It was right on the Volga River.. with an amazing view! It was really nice.
The only BIG downside to the night was at the very end. Someone in my group (who will remain nameless) bumped into me and my camera fell to the floor. Not thinking it was a big deal, I just picked it up and tried to turn it back on. FAIL! I worked on it all night and nothing happened... the lens just goes in and out but it won't go in all the way. So disappointing! And since I wear my emotions on my sleeve, everyone could tell I was not in the best mood and the party quickly disappated and we headed home. It was time to head back anyway.

Friday I went with my friend Jen to the Kirovsky Elderly center - a new place I'd never been to before. (Everyone but me and 4 other volunteers left for Moscow early Friday morning, so it was a smaller volunteer group). We did the exercises with them... including rubbing your ears and moving your eyes from side to side (?) followed by a long Q&A and discussion with us. Not a lot of foreigners (especially Americans) visit Yaroslavl so I've found that people are very interested in your story... where you're from, why you're here, your impressions of Russia... I'm always a little surprised that people of that generation are so welcoming and open towards us. I probably shouldn't be but the perception that has permeated American society is that Russian people are all bad and scary (in most movies the bad guy is a Russian!) but that is NOT the case at all! Everyone I've worked with has been extremely friendly and hospitable. One lady today even gave me a gift when I was leaving - a little coaster she had sewen! And she had just met me that morning - It's been a pleasant surprise that all the Russian's I've actually met have exceeded all my expectations.
Friday afternoons are free, so me, Jen and Bayleigh were invited by 2 of the translators to come to a mall in the suburbs of Yaroslavl. Even though I physically cannot get any more things into my suitcase (and I will probably end up leaving some things behind just to get the weight down) I thought it'd be an interesting cultural experience anyway :) Besides the 30 min un-air conditioned bus ride there in which I was tossed from my seat, Russian malls are fairly similar to American malls.... except that none of the stores are the same and I can't talk to the sales people.
The rest of the night was fairly low-key, relaxing, nap from 6pm-8pm, visiting with the British family (more cultural immersion!) and watching "Anastasia" - the animated version :) Of course now I'm critiquing all the places and people. Obviously I'm an expert by now.

Oh! And I also dropped my camera off at the repair shop this morning... with a little help from the translator who was gracious enough to come with me (thanks Olga!) I'm REALLY hoping that they can fix it... and of course, not cost alot. So keep your fingers crossed! I know my pictures are really fun :)

Only 2 weeks left... Don't worry, I will make the most of them. It's not every day that you're in Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment