Saturday, July 10, 2010

ROTC's Last Day :(

So I know that I've mentioned them before but basically this whole time that I've been here there have been about 20 ROTC cadets who had been volunteering at the same time. I even arrived on the same plane as them... and despite seeing me cry at JFK, they looked past that and have become some of my very good friends. This has been the group that has let me (along with 2 other girls) come with them on their trips to Moscow and St. Petersburg, has included me in everything that they've done and essentially turned me into a pseud0-cadet (while still remaining very much a civilian :). They've been such a great group of kids... and I feel REALLY old for saying 'kids' but seeing as how I'm anywhere from 5-2 years older than them, I did occasionally feel a little old - being called "Mom" by a few of them didn't help the situation either. Despite that, they didn't hold it against me and I was lucky enough to really get to know them both as a group and also as individuals. It's amazing how much you can learn about people in 3 weeks - granted we did live, sleep, work and travel together!
But like all good things, it must come to an end. The Army only signed the cadets up for 3 weeks and Saturday morning (today) was their final day in Yaroslavl.

I had never really met anyone in the Army (or any branch of the military for that matter) and was REALLY unsure of what to expect... joining the army and fighting is so far from what I thought I would ever or could ever do that I wasn't sure how others could to pursue a life like that. All of my expectations were completely blown out of the water when I met some of the nicest, most sincere and hardest working people I've had the pleasure to get to know. I have a completely new perspective and renewed respect for the people who go overseas and give their time and their lives, leave their friends and family, for their country...and in their case, not only that time but in the case of the ROTC, so much time DURING college! I spent college going to football games, class and being in a sorority.... The amount of time that they spend in regular class PLUS doing all of army stuff (I've heard PT being thrown around alot... which I think involves waking up early and working out) is truly admirable and deserves alot of respect and recognition.

The last night with the cadets was another one of my favorites... I went with a small group into downtown Yaroslavl to have a farewell drink (or 2) to send them off right, Russian style :)I have to say that saying good-bye to them this morning was a little - ok more than a little - sad. It's odd to have an experience like this, in a new country, new culture, with all these people... and them to go on and you to stay behind. I'm excited for what the next 3 weeks have in store but I know that it won't be the same as the first 3; and I wouldn't want them to be the same either - I had such a wonderful and memorable time with my new friends, I know I will remember this time - and them - for the rest of my life.

There will be a new group of cadets arriving tomorrow (I think 9?), along with a few other volunteers and while I'm excited to see what the next 3 weeks have in store I won't ever forget this time or these people. To all of them, PLEASE stay safe and keep in touch!!

So to Maj. Z, Maj. Hannick, Ben, Jose, Jose, Nordby, Barbian, Christmas, Lynch, Hurst, Rachel, Hannah, Clegg, Brown, Boston, Shelton, Piper, Tim, McClure, Cave, Richardson, Donald, Garry and Justin.... thank you for an amazing 3 weeks. It wouldn't have been Russia without you :)



No comments:

Post a Comment