Friday, July 23, 2010

First Half of Week 5

My fifth week in Yaroslavl has already come to an end and my final week will be beginning in just a few days. This week has been jam-packed with events and I have to say that all-in-all it was a good one :) It was a really busy week, so I split the blog posts into two... here's the first half of the week...

Monday, July 19th - This morning my first placement was at the Fruenzensky city camp. As all Russian children are out of school for the summer from the end of May until September 1, the government offers free or reduced-cost summer camps for those children who come from low-income families or those who are also in orphanages or shelters (the camps also provide meals for the children as well). This is the 2nd time I've been to this camp and just like before, all the children were very excited to see us! I spent most of my time working with the girls (and a few boys) who were interested in doing the craft we prepared (egg-crate bugs) while other kids played Uno, football (soccer) and board games. As English is taught in most schools, many of the children know a few words of English and are anxious to practice on us. Unfortuantely, I do not think I will be back to the city camp so I had to say goodbye for good to all of the kids. It's amazing to think of the struggles they've been through - having no parents or parents who are drug addicts and alcoholics - and yet you cannot see any of that when we are with them. They're so happy to have people who want to play with them and talk to them - every time they leave they give us big hugs and ask us to come back; I'm hopeful that for those few hours we're able to help them forget what it's like at home and just concentrate on being a kid.
In the afternoon my group went back to School #45 - we go there pretty much every afternoon that we have afternoon placements and even though the work can be strenuous and it's incredibly hot in the building, the school officials are so grateful to have our help it's completely worth it. Since they didn't get any money from the government to fix up the school they are doing it themselves and are always very appreciative of our help - today they even took photos of us working, telling us that they were going to show the pictures to the kids and tell them that girls from America came to help fix up the school for them. How sweet is that! That's what makes it worth it for me : )

Tuesday, July 20th - today was my birthday and since I already put up a separate post about that, I won't tell you again what I did.

Wednesday, July 21st - today started out a little sad... my friend Bayliegh - who I emailed before I even came to Russia, who arrived the same day as me, who I traveled with - had to go back home today. She had only signed up for 4 weeks and was actually able to extend her stay by 3 days but it was still sad to say good bye.
Besides the sad morning, the rest of the day went really well - my group went back to the children's shelter and as our van pulled up we were greeted by the kids yelling and jumping up and down - so amazing! It's nice that I've been there a few times already, so I'm getting to know all the kids and they remember me but there were a few more kids this time than last; it just reminds me that while this sometimes looks like a daycare, it's really a place for kids who have been taken from terrible situations and who may never go back to their families. It's really heartbreaking to think that all these wonderfully, sweet kids will spend the rest of their childhood bouncing from one orphanage to the next...until they're 18. It's no way to grow up.
In the afternoon we went on our weekly excursion and this time it was to a "big village" (as described by my program coordinator). Well I guess it was biggER than the first village I went to ... but don't get the impression that this was any kind of thriving city! Pulling up, there are a few stores, 2 hotels (do they REALLY need 2 hotels?) and quite a few people just standing around... and staring. I've learned that people stare at you in Russia when they hear you speaking English. Our guide gave us a "tour" of the village (we really walked around in a big circle) and brought us to the church - a really pretty church that was built in the 1700's and is absolutely covered with golden icons. Then we moved a few blocks down to the separate chapel where baptisms are performed - the font is more of a mini-pool and some in my group even opted to be "baptized" (they just went in the water... I don't think it was a religious experience for them). Our tour wrapped up with a walk through the village museum and a trip to the local pub where they we had tea, cookies and pickles! Apparently this region is really famous for it's pickles (they have a festival and everything!) but I have to say, they tasted like any regular dill pickle I get at home! So maybe I'm not the best judge :)
We got back to Yaroslavl around 6:30pm and had a nice relaxing evening... little dinner, little reading (I'm reading "The Pillars of the Earth" right now) and a little run - don't worry, it was still completely light out at 9:30 pm :) It'll be weird going back home and it getting dark before 11pm! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment