Friday, July 16, 2010

Russia aka The Surface of the Sun

So I remember before I left that pretty much everyone who I told I was going to Russia asked me the same question... "Will it be hot in Russia?.. Will it be Summer there?". Well, I obviously knew that yes, it would be summer in Russia (they're on the same side of the Equator as the U.S.) but I had been informed by multiple sources... (the program I'm on, Wikipedia and Weather.com) that Russian summers are usually really mild (in the 60s...maaaybe 70s) with rain. Ahhhh... NOO! It has been probably one of the hottest summers of my LIFE ! And I live in Chicago!! So you know how hot it's gotta be!
I'm sure you're thinking 'Katie, it's really hot in America right now too... calm down..' Well it may be hot in America right now but you all have a few things that we like to take for granted in the States... one being ice. Just ice. Frozen water. They don't believe in ice here... not for swollen legs and certainly not for drinks! Putting ice in drinks?! That's just crazy!
Another thing Russians don't believe in is air conditioning. So even if it "technically" is a little warmer back home - you all have the luxury (and yes it IS a luxury) of getting away from the heat at some point during the day... at the office, in the car, at home, even the L.. ahhh sitting on a nice cold L would sound amazing right now! I actually remember going into movie theaters and needing to bring a sweater because it's so cold in the summer!
I honestly don't remember what it's like to be cold. Or to not sweat. Sorry, gross I know but where there is heat, perspiration inevitably follows. All. The.Time. I think I loose a few pounds a day by just walking around!
I was told this weekend it was supposed to get to 40. I didn't know what that meant but the Russians and British people that are here had a horrified look on their faces. I just googled it and 40 Celsius is like 90!!! What am I supposed to do in 90?! There's no where to go to get away from the heat :( Apparently it is one of the hottest summers on RECORD in Russia - literally in 100 years they haven't had this hot of a summer ... and I know that's why they don't have AC (they don't need it most of the year) but come on! Even in a large supermarket or a mall?! Americans would be up in arms if there wasn't AC in those kinds of places! Ugghh... just another cultural thing I'm getting through here - I will definitely appreciate the luxuries I have back home. But seriously K, the the apartment better be FRIDGED when we get back from the airport! :)

On another note I am more than halfway done with the program. Only 2 weeks left now... I sound like a broken record but it's amazing how quickly time flies by. Before I know it I will be driving back to Moscow and getting on a plane... to Dublin :) And then obviously back to Chicago... don't worry, I'm coming back :) If I don't melt first.

No comments:

Post a Comment