Saturday, July 24, 2010

End of Week 5

Thursday my team went to the children's shelter again and it was really great to see the kids two days in a row. My one favorite little girl is Aliona (I know I shouldn't have favorites but she's so cute! I can't help it!) and she is just the cutest and most hilarious little kid I've ever seen! I found out that she's 3 years old and although I don't know what her family situation is or how long she's been to the shelter but as my friend said "she is a force to be reckoned with!" She loves to take your hand and lead you somewhere and decide what you will do (push a doll on the swing) or what you will hold for her - one morning I spent a half an hour holding her doll and mirror and when I set it down she ran over and wrapped my hands around her toys again! And apparently, today when she was trying to tell the other children what they should do, she stomped her foot and said (as told to us by the translator) "No one listens to me!" Besides that, she's also incredibly cute - always wearing a little bandana on her head (I think it's a cultural thing) and just smiles at you with her cubby, baby cheeks! How can you not fall in love with a kid like that?!
Thursday afternoon was spent like most other - at School #45. I'm starting to really get the hang of plastering and painting! Although I think I might be able to do a better job if the paint wasn't watery and smelled like gasoline.... and actually took the plaster off the walls when you put it on - but I guess they have to work with what they've got!

Friday was a quiet day - a big group of the cadets and other volunteers went to St. Petersburg for the weekend, so they left late Thursday evening. When that happens, people usually go in pairs to placements. This morning I went back to the Kirovsky Elderly center, where I had been the Friday before, with Jen. We arrived as they were singing karaoke songs on the TV (yup, even the elderly enjoy karaoke :) and shortly after that we participated in the exercises that one of the women at the center organizes. While I'm sure all the exercises they were having us do have redeeming benefits (especially if you're elderly) it was still comical to see 15 old, Russian women marching, rubbing their ears and necks (apparently that is exercise!) and moving their eyes from side to side... Our craft was beaded bracelets and all of the women were so excited to make something pretty to wear and most of them wanted to wear them immediately. After teaching them how to play Uno (or "Una" in Russian) it was time for their lunch and time for us to head back... but not before one of the women gave me a gift! A pot holder! One that she had embroidered herself!
The hospitality and generosity of the Russian people has not been lost on me. I have to say I had preconceived notion that they would all be cold, unfriendly and not like Americans. While walking down the street most people may seem cold or unfriendly (no one smiles on the street) when you actually get to meet and talk to someone, they're an incredibly warm and welcoming people. I think that in America Russians are viewed at skeptically and curiously and I know that isn't without reason but I have to say, until you meet a real Russian - don't base your thoughts on the negative generalization that has come from their rocky history with the US. Most of the Russian's that I've worked with and met have been just as friendly - if not sometimes friendlier - than people in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment